Super Absorbent Polymer Market by Type (Sodium Polyacrylate, Polyacrylamide, Copolymer, Others) and Application (Healthcare, Personal Care, Agriculture, Others): Global Market Size Estimates and Forecast (2022-2030)
The market crossed US$ 10 billion mark in 2022 and is expected to hit US$ 17 billion by 2030, recording a CAGR of 6.2% during the forecast period.
Growing global population
The global population of the age group 00–14 is estimated to be 2.08 billion by 2050. In the super absorbent polymers market, according to The World Bank Group. the personal hygiene application segment accounts for a significant share. In personal hygiene applications, super absorbent polymers are used in baby diapers, adult incontinence products, and sanitary napkins. Among these, the use of super absorbent polymers is the highest in the baby diapers segment. Moreover, the rising geriatric population and increasing awareness about the advantages and convenience of adult incontinence products are increasing the usage of super absorbent polymers. Thus, the super absorbent polymer market is expected to drive in the forecast period.
Within the report, the market is segmented into type, application, and geography. By type, the market is segmented into sodium polyacrylate, polyacrylamide, copolymer, and others. By application, the market is categorized into healthcare, personal care, agriculture, and others. Geographically, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South & Central America, and Middle East & Africa.
Development of bio-based super absorbent polymers
In the recent market scenario, conventional super absorbent polymers used are non-biodegradable and account for a large share of landfills across the globe. Hence, investments in the development of super absorbent polymers based on renewable materials are expected to create new avenues for the global market. Super absorbent polymers based on renewable materials are also a suitable alternative to petrochemical-based polymers, such as sodium polyacrylate and potassium polyacrylate, which are currently used in the absorbent core of disposable diapers, among other personal hygiene products. For instance, in 2017, Ecovia Renewables Inc. (US) has made research grants for the development of biopolymers materials for use in diapers.
Increasing awareness regarding personal hygiene
Rising health awareness regarding the usage of sanitary pads and baby diapers has a major influence on the global market. Additionally, growing responsiveness towards rising environmental degradation and pollution has induced the consumers and industries to eco-friendly bio-products consumption creating a huge opportunity for the super absorbent polymer market to grow steadily. Many governments and personal hygiene product manufacturers are taking initiatives not only to raise awareness of personal hygiene products but also to make them accessible to everyone.
The super absorbent polymers market has undergone several significant developments, and a few of these have been mentioned below:
- In November 2020, Nippon Shokubai, LiveDo Corporation (Japan), and Total Care System (Japan) jointly have been developing various technologies to promote systems that recycle disposable diapers, the use of which continues to increase. These three companies have recently developed new recycling technologies for super absorbent polymers in used diapers. The technology can be applied to a wide variety of super absorbent polymers distributed worldwide.
- In March 2021, BASF invested USD 30.1 million in new excellence center for its hygiene business. With these investments, BASF will increase innovation capabilities for its super absorbent polymer business by building a state-of-the-art Super absorbents Excellence Center at its Verbund site in Antwerp, Belgium.
The super absorbent polymer market is driven by several players by implementing strategic activities such as investments, new launches, mergers & acquisitions, and partnerships. Nippon, Shokubai, BASF SE, Evonik industries AG, Sumitomo are among the prominent players operating in the market.
Target audience for the report:
- Raw material providers
- release coating manufacturer
- packaging related associations, organizations, forums, and alliances
- Government bodies, such as regulating authorities and policymakers
- Venture capitalists, private equity firms, and start-up companies
- Research institutes, organizations, and consulting companies
Scope of the report:
In this report, the market has been segmented on the basis of:
- Sodium Polyacrylate
- Personal Care
- North America
- Asia Pacific (APAC)
- South & Central America
- Middle East & Africa
- Companies profiled
- BASF SE
- Evonik Industries AG
The List of Companies
- BASF SE
- Evonik Industries AG